Match Report for 27/1/2005

Dragons 1st 3 V 2 Widnes 2nd (Away)

The expected 'railroading' of bottom of the table Widnes didn't materialise, some said due to the team suffering lack of leadership from stand-in Philip Noble, in the absence of influential skipper Brian Meehan, called away on urgent international business!

Colin Elson was the first duffbag going down 3-2 at number five, whilst returning 'guest' Ritchie Hogben showed true quality in levelling the match with a 3-0 trouncing of Barry Simpson. Chris van Wyk had more excuses than Tony Blair in going down 3-1 to 'alleged' first teamer, Rob Mcgregor, however the 'hot-shot' of the moment, in spite of his leadership shortcomings, Philip Noble, maintained his top form with a resounding 3-0 win to set up a grand finale. In all honesty this should have been a foregone conclusion as Giles Cook has been in excellent form all season, something of a Man Utd v Exeter, and so it proved, with Giles spluttering and mis-firing like a clapped out old banger, which is, in fact, not a bad analogy! But from 2-1 down Giles dug in and showed a little bit of form to come back and win 3-2 to clinch the match for Dragons by the same scoreline. Must do better!!

Dragons 2nd 0 V 5 Chester Rugby 4th (Home)


Dragons lined up like ducks in a row to be picked off by, it has to be said, a new, improved and very powerful Chester Rugby team, with only Godfrey Angove and the all-new 'slimline' Andy Senior managing to scrap a game each. The moping minnies were David Jack, John Morris and, in a surprisingly lily-livered capitulation, the 'normally team saviour', 'Big Bernie' Spaven!!

Oh well, at least we don't have to play them again.

Dragons 3rd 5 V 0 New Brighton 7th (Away)

First on for Dragons was John Partridge against Garrick Connors of New Brighton. John playing at no.4 showed he was merely cruising as he took an easy win, dropping only 3 points in the second game.

Meanwhile on the other court Andy Baird up against Gill Thomason was off to a great start also taking the first 2 games 9-2, 9-1. Deciding to be gentlemanly he proceeded to even things up by going for the tin with great success, allowing Gill to take the next game 9-4. Raising his game, and the ball above the tin, he recovered to take the 4th game 10-8 and victory.

Mark Bryant took on young Ray Clarke at no.2. He played some good squash to keep the youngster under control in the 1st taking it 9-5. Mark thinking he had laid down the law eased off only to lose the next game 8-10. A quick re-think saw more more decent squash from Mark to take the next 2 games and a 3-1 win. That no.2 spot looks okay for another week yet.

Steve McMahon was presented with the toughest game of the night against no.3 Nick Jones. Steve kept a steady game going on produced a 3-1 win.

Last on Ian Kerrod gained a fairly easy win over the New Brighton no.1, Paul Brownbill to make it a clean sweep for Dragons.

With a useful 20 points in the bag, it will be interesting to see next weeks outcome against the challenging Cheshire Oaks side.



Web site logo