Match Report for 17/2/2004

Dragons 1st 4 V 1 Heswall 2nd (Home)

Dragons travelled to Barnton on Thursday looking for a victory to keep the team up amongst the leaders.

Colin Elson bounced back from a spell of indifferent performances to return to form with a comfortable 3-0 win over George Blake.

Chris van Wyk must have felt confident going on court against Dragons old boy Ian Riley, however the hot courts coupled with the congestion problems that have been troubling the Dragons stalwart of late, obviously combined to allow Riley to hand out an unexpected and comprehensive 3-0 'dungering'.

Also super confident was Philip Noble with his last five matches giving a combined score of 15-0 in his favour, however against the deceptive John Hobley the run came to an end as John took the first game 10-8, which obviously upset the 'Noble machine' which then went into top gear to run out a powerful 3-1 winner.

Giles Cook then played Lee Washburn in the match of the night. Going quickly 1-0 down, Giles rallied to narrowly take the next two games before losing the fourth to set up a 'humdinger' of a fifth, which was nip and tuck all the way to the very last point with Giles just edging it 10-9 to take a magnificent 3-2 victory.

Peter Lee's return to the team was something of an anti-climax which was a pity as he totally mesmerised his opponent Mark Dennett to the tune of only 5 points, proving he's back to top form in the 3-0 win, and completing a 4-1 victory for the team.

No 2nd team result

Dragons 3rd 4 V 1 Chester Rugby 5th (Away)

Dragons 3rds were up against the challenging Rugby club for another battle for the top few places in the league.

First on Andy Baird was looking to overturn the first halfs thrashing handed out by Chester's Geoff Green. Whatever happened it was good because Andy managed to take the match 3-1. The actual tactics used will have to go unreported as no one actually bothered to watch the game - Ah well!

Meanwhile 2 other courts were in play - yes it was match night utopia with 3 courts available for 1 team. John Partridge proved somewhat distracted by young Franci Kippax and despite labouring the game to took a 3-0 win.

Ian Kerrod with another return match against James Kippax looked set for a stuffing before Dragons no. 2, Mark Bryant, provided suitable heckling from the gallery to turn the game around. A 3-2 victory was snatched from somewhere to give Dragons an early team win.

The vocal support obviously proved a drain on Marks strength as he went on against Tony Hattersley. The squash proved somewhat lacking as he dived to a 3-0 loss.

Last on young Steve McMahon set off at a cracking pace to take the first game an easy 9-0. He backed off to tease his opponent taking the next 2 both 10-8.

A good night for the 3rds keeps them a cosy 2nd in the league.



Web site logo